WPGear.org is a compendium of useful developer tools for working with WordPress.
WordPress-Gear is meant to be community driven, please feel free to jump in and add/remove any useful information via GitHub.
The easiest way to contribute is to have a GitHub account then click index.md, then click edit. This will automatically fork this project to your account so you can make changes, then submit a pull request. There are additional instruction if you want to clone this locally in the readme.
Please refrain from submitting any commercial products or themes. Links
must allow for code browsing (github/bitbucket/svn..etc).
Compressed format (.zip or .tar.gz)
Revision control (stable) - These builds roll the latest commits.
svn checkout https://core.svn.wordpress.org/trunk/
git clone git://core.git.wordpress.org/
git clone https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress.git
svn checkout https://develop.svn.wordpress.org/trunk/
git clone git://develop.git.wordpress.org/
git clone https://github.com/aaronjorbin/develop.wordpress.git
Unit Testing and profiling
Command line fu
- WP-CLI - The command-line tool for managing WordPress.
- WP-CLI GUI - A GUI for the command line interface for WordPress.
- EasyEngine - Python tool to easily manage your WordPress websites with NGINX webserver - supported on Ubuntu and Debian Linux.
- WP-PowerShell - Windows powershell for the WP-CLI
- VimPress - Post to WordPress from Vim
- SublPress - Post to WordPress in Sublime
- wp-composer - Adds Composer dependency management to plugins/themes via WP-CLI.
WordPress snippets and auto-completions
Code sniffers & fixing
- Nginx - Configuration for running WordPress
- WordPress-Skeleton - Basic layout of a WordPress Git repository
- WordPress Java - Java xmlrpc interface of WordPress
- WP.NET - WordPress compiled to .NET, yes this exists.
- WordPress Packagist - Mirror of the wp.org theme and plugin repositories for use with Composer.
- Database Search & Replace script - Easily search & replace data in a WP database. Fully supports handling of serialized strings. Especially useful when migrating a site to another domain/from test to production. Full docs.
Plugins that help with debugging
- Debug Bar - Maintained by core devs.
- Debug Bar Toggle - (Temporarily) Enable and disable the Debug Bar with a keystroke: ctrl + d.
Debug Bar extensions
Debug Bar plugin specific extensions
Query Monitor and extensions
Query Monitor also transparently supports all Debug Bar add-on plugins.
Most of these are PHP classes
- Github Updater - WordPress plugin / theme updates via GitHub (and GitHub Enterprise), GitLab
- GitHub Plugin Update - WordPress plugin updates via GitHub
- Update Class - Private and commercial plugin update class
- WP-Plugin-In-Github - Sync WordPress Plugins between Github and WordPress Plugin repository.
- External Update API - Add support for updating themes and plugins via external sources instead of the WordPress.org repos
- Plugin Update Checker - Add support for updating externally hosted plugins via the normal WP update flow. Easiest to be used in combination with WP Update Server which will provide API responses for those plugins similar to the WP.org API expected responses.
- GenerateWP - Generate the code for adding taxonomies, post types, sidebars, menus, shortcodes, queries, cron jobs and much more.
- Media Manager Class - Integrating the new media manager work-flow into your plugins/themes
- WordPress Transients Interface - A WordPress transients interface
- Logging Class - A general logging system
- Simple History - A logging tool with a pretty GUI. Logs user actions.
- WP Session Manager - Session manager for WordPress
- WP CoffeeScript - Use CoffeeScript in WordPress
- Dynamic Image Resize - Resize images on the fly (like WPThumb/TimThumb but using PHP only)
- CleverRules - New way to handle rewrite rules
- TGM Plugin Activation - Drop-in class to require and/or recommend plugins for Themes and Plugins (dependency management). You can reference bundled plugins, plugin from the WP repo and externally hosted plugins. See their website for more information.
- WP Requirements - A little utility class template to adapt in your plugin project to help you check for WP version, PHP version and PHP extensions before letting users activate a plugin that has minimum requirements.
- Auto login - An MU plugin to log in without username and password. A username should be
define()-d in wp-config.
- SMTP URI Quickly set up SMTP. “smtp://localhost:2525”
- Theme Customizer Controls - Custom controls for your theme customizer page
- Kirki Toolkit - Custom controls & API for the Customizer
- Wordless - Haml, Compass and Coffeescript (Ruby)
- Forge - Sass, LESS, and CoffeeScript (Ruby)
- Compass WordPress - Sass
- Grunt-WP-Theme - Grunt Scaffold (node)
- Prometheus Front-end foundation (LESS, wpthumb)
- WordPress Template Base File structure based on several themes and template hierarchy
- Theme-Check - Test your theme and make sure it’s up to spec
- Monster Widget - Provides a quick and easy method of adding all core widgets to a sidebar for testing purposes.
- Timber - Write your theme using Twig templates (similar to Mustache, Handlebars, etc.)
- Cutlass - Develop your theme using Laravel’s Blade Templating Engine
- Sprig - Develop your theme using the Twig Templating Engine (similar to Timber)
If you are looking for theme option frameworks, look above under “Framework stuff”.
Internationalization & Localization Stuff
- Pig Latin - Changes all text strings into Pig Latin to easily spot which strings don’t use localization functions.
- RTL Tester - Test your themes and plugins in Right-to-Left mode.